Designers & Creators Directory
Birthplace: Prilep, Macedonia
Date born: March 2nd, 1929
Current residence: Skopje, Macedonia
Education: University of Ljubljana (graduated 1957)
Born in Prilep, Macedonia in 1929, Peter Muličkoski (which I find often sometimes spelled 'Muličkovski') started his architectural career studying at University of Ljubljana, working under professor Edo Ravnikar. He graduated in 1957 and, just two years later, he was elected to become an assistant professor for the architecture school's Technical faculty. In the early 1960s, he traveled to the US where he spent a great deal of time studying at UC Berkley, Harvard and at Frank Lloyd Wright's Arizona research compound Taliesin West. Muličkoski's interests were in cultivating a unique Macedonian style of modernist architecture which fused the traditional aspects of Macedonian heritage with the new trends of minimalist and streamlined design being popularized during the 1960s. He was interested in using contemporary materials: glass, concrete, metal... but using them in such a way that he exhibited their natural color, structure and texture. In 1970, he was awarded his largest commission yet, the central 'Chamber of Administration' buildings for the Macedonian government in Skopje, on the banks of the Vardar River (see photo here). A few years later, he was given another government commission to construct a large public spomenik complex in Kavadarci Macedonia, commemorating the fallen fighters of the National Liberation War. In 1978 he was elected at University of Ljubljana as a full professor.
Muličkoski continued teaching and designing buildings for many decades. Over his long career, he has won numerous awards and created a significant number of building projects, monuments and sculptures, making him one of the fathers of Macedonian modernism. In 1995 he won the coveted Macedonian 'Andrea Damian award' for a lifetime of achievement in architecture. In the 2000s, he wrote a series of books, "The Spirit of the Macedonian House", "Spirit of Macedonian Construction" and "The Spirit of the Macedonian Capital", celebrating the uniqueness and importance of Macedonian architecture. In 2013, he fought against the Macedonian government's plans to overhaul and redesign the government buildings he created in 1970. Despite his objections, the original facades were removed and replaced with a neo-classical design in 2014 (see photo here). Muličkoski currently lives in Skopje and is still designing buildings.
Works by this Designer:
This is a listing of a number of memorials, monuments, cultural centers and other notable Yugoslav-era civic works by Peter Muličkoski. Those sites listed in the upper part of this section have profile pages, while those listed in the lower part do not yet have completed profile pages. This list is not exhaustive and will be added to over time.
Yugoslav Works with profile pages:
Click photos to go to page
Name: Memorial Ossuary to Fallen Fighters
Year: completed 1976
Yugoslav Works without profile pages:
Name: Palace of Administration
Year: completed 1970, facade changed in 2014
Location: E42°00'01.7", E21°25'41.6"
Name: National Library of St. Clement of Ohrid
Year: completed 1971
Location: N41°59'52.2", E21°26'22.7"
Name: 'SIMPO' Factory Headquarters
Year: completed 1975
Location: N42°32'12.4", E21°55'04.5"
Selected Sources and More Information: